How is my generation still here? I’m talking about some of the videos we had to watch at school and the illness that was going to wipe us all out along the way.
Let’s start with some of the “safety” videos we were shown at school.
There was one I remember with two children (I think there were two, can’t remember it that well I guess!), running across a field flying a kite. Not a care in the world. Both just focusing on the kite way up in the air. Until bang, the kite hits some over head electrical cables and one of the kids is cooked quicker than your microwave chips!
The next one I remember is about fireworks. There was a group of kids and a box of fireworks. What could possibly go wrong? Well, this one bright spark (last thing you want around fireworks), decides to light the corner of the whole box. It didn’t end to well as it exploded in his face. Who would have guessed?
There was a rather short video about a couple of kids that are left at home on their own, a brother and sister I believe. The older one lights the gas fire with a match, no real problem there. Unfortunately he drops the still lit match onto a comic and sets light to the living room. Nice one.
There were loads of these video’s. I’m sure there will be some on YouTube. Ones about…playing on building sites, drinking chemicals, drowning, getting knocked over by cars. The list goes on. Please remember, we were very young when we had to watch these. It scared the shit out of you, well it did me anyway!!
Now for the illness. I am of course talking about HIV/AIDS.
The human immunodeficiency viruses (HIV) are two species of Lentivirus (a subgroup of retrovirus) that infect humans. Over time, they cause acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), a condition in which progressive failure of the immune system allows life-threatening opportunistic infections and cancers to thrive.
Unfortunately there was little known about this killer when we were being taught about it in school. It was however portrayed to us, that we were all going to get it and death was imminent. We were told that simply by touching someone that had it, or touching something that they had used would infect us.
So of we didn’t blow ourselves up, drown, get electrocuted, get knocked down, burn to death, induce chemicals or contract a deadly disease, we were pretty lucky. Oh, and of course we had a whole host of “celebrities” that were out to get us too. I hope Jim didn’t fix it for you.